Summer harvest and summer grilling come together for a vegetarian summerfest in your mouth. Celebrate the summer of plant-based love with a plate full of grilled zucchini.
Once upon a time — 1967, in fact — the youth of our nation converged on the Bay Area in what became known as the Summer of Love. Some came for the drugs, some came for the music, some for the free sex, others for the energy, the zeitgeist, the spirit and sense that we were on the brink of social change. I’ve never heard of anyone coming for the food.
Here we are over half a century later, and once again, it’s a season of change. And challenge. We’re fighting for equality, equity and civil rights, just as our parents and grandparents did. And we’re doing it in the midst of a pandemic. There’s no precedent for this. So food choices matters more than ever.
Meatpacking’s inhuman working conditions have turned plants into Covid-19 hot spots, killing not just animals, but workers. That’s nothing you want on your plate. Or your conscious. More people are choosing to eat plant-based. Join the trend.
We have to fuel ourselves well to protect ourselves and others from Covid-19. A plant based diet helps build our immunity, especially for those most at risk. We need to be well-fueled to confront and dismantle implicit and systemic bias because no one’s immune from that.
The challenges we face may be hard, but choosing plant-based is easy. Make this the summer of plant-based love.
If you are new to plant-based eating it can be a bit of a challenge as you make the shift. Finding foods, like zucchini, that are hearty and versatile can make the transition easier. Grilled zucchini is full of flavor and the lemon and herbs in this recipe add a summery burst of flavor.
Summer of Veggie Love Grilled Zucchini and Lemon with Fresh Herbs
- 2 lemons rinsed well and sliced crosswise in paper-thin slices
- 2 zucchini sliced into long, slender planks
- 1 red onion sliced crosswise into rings
- 1 handful mint leaves torn
- 1 handful oregano leaves
- 1 handful parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste pepper
- Bring a small saucepan of water to boil, poking out the seeds. Drop the lemon slices in the water to blanch for a minute. Drain well and blot dry.
- Brush lemon slices, onion and zucchini blanks with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Grill lemon slices for about a minute — a grill basket is great for this — or until the start to blacken, then flip and grill the other side. Set aside.
- Brush the zucchini planks and sliced onions with remaining olive oil and season with sea salt and pepper. Grill a few minutes per side, or until softened and the onion is slightly caramelized, about 8 minutes, a little longer for the zucchini. My go-to source for grilling vegetables — and for many things — is “The Old Farmer’s Almanac.”
- Arrange grilled zucchini, onion and lemon on a platter. Scatter herbs on top and drizzle with a little more olive oil, if desired. Set aside and leave out at room temperature for about 30 minute before serving, so the flavors get to know each other.
Looking for more zucchini recipes? Try these.