Soupe Joumou: Sunshine in the Midst of Darkness
I have taken the meat out of Marcel’s soupe joumou but not, I hope, the heart. Great by itself or ladled over cooked brown rice.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/4 cup garlic chopped (yeah, a 1/4 cup. Got a problem?)
- 1/4 cup ginger chopped
- 1 jalapeno or 1/4 habanero,chopped
- 1 large winter squash diced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons allspice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch collards or callaloo chopped into bite-sized bits, or about 3 cups shredded cabbage
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 bay leaf
Heat oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, garlic and ginger and jalapeno. Saute, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 8 minutes.
Add allspice, chopped squash and chopped carrots. Add greens a handful at a time. Stir until greens just wilt, about 3 minutes.
Add broth and bring heat to high. When broth comes to a boil, add thyme leaves and bay leaf.
Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for half an hour, or until vegetables are tender.
Squeeze in lime juice and season with sea salt and pepper.