Mother's Day Red Lentils
- 1 cup of red lentils rinsed
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or grapeseed oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chickpea flour also called besan
- 1-1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 tablespoons dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 1 pint grape tomatoes halved if large
- sea salt to taste
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro chopped
- Pour water or broth into medium saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat. Add red lentils. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 10 minutes, by which time the lentils will have plumped, turned tender and gone from red to rosy. Remove from heat and let them cool to room temperature.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in chickpea flour, turmeric, coconut and ginger, stirring for about 3 minutes, until mixture is toasty and fragrant. Add tomatoes. Stir well to coat. Turn off heat.
- Gently stir lentils and tamarind paste into coconut and ginger mixture. Have a kind and light hand so as not to mushify lentils. Season with sea salt.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, if desired.
- Best enjoyed at room temperature. Stir in chopped cilantro just before serving.
Serves 4 to 6.
Thank you for reading my vegan stories and plant-based recipes. I sincerely love to connect with listeners and would like to hear your feedback, takeaways, “ah-ha!” moments, etc in the comments.