Pumpkin & Ginger Scone
- For the Scones:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter cold and diced 1/2 cup cooked pumpkin purée or canned pumpkin purée 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger or to taste
- For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon almond or oat milk
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large sheet tray, or two smaller ones, with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and crumble together with your fingers until the mixture resembles small peas. Add the pumpkin purée, brown sugar, vanilla, and ginger and stir with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. If it’s too sticky, sprinkle in a little more flour. It it’s too dry, add a splash of almond milk.
- Transfer the dough to a clean, well-floured work surface and gently knead it a few times until it comes together. Form the dough into a round and gently press until it is approximately 1 inch thick. The key to tender and flaky scones is not to overwork the dough. Using a knife, slice the dough in half, then again the other way to quarter it. Then slice each quarter in half so that you have eight triangle-shaped scones.
- Transfer scones to your prepared sheet tray and bake for approximately 15 minutes, until they are golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool.
- To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, cinnamon, and almond milk. Drizzle the glaze on top of the cool scones. Serve immediately or store the scones at room temperature until served. Scones will last 1 to 2 days in a sealed container but are best the day you bake them.
Excerpted from Seed to Plate, Soil to Sky_:_ Modern Plant-Based Recipes Using Native American Ingredients by Lois Ellen Frank. Copyright © 2023. Available from Hachette Go, an imprint of Hachette Book Group, Inc.
Thank you for reading my vegan stories and plant-based recipes. I sincerely love to connect with listeners and would like to hear your feedback, takeaways, “ah-ha!” moments, etc in the comments.