No-Cook Mediterranean Bowl
- 4 cups kale about 1/2 bunch chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup scallions chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 15- ounce can diced tomatoes or if you have it 1 to 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon agave
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 15- ounce can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 handful cilantro chopped
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- tahini for drizzling if desired
- In a large bowl, use your hands to massage kale with olive oil and lemon juice for a minute or two until kale starts to relax. Maybe you can relax a little, too.
- Add chopped scallions and smoked paprika, allspice, turmeric and bulgur. Toss to combine.
- Add diced tomatoes, agave and water or vegetable broth. Give everything a good stir to combine and cover. Pop it in the fridge, if you’ve got one, leave it on the counter if you don’t. After an hour, bulgur should have absorbed all the liquid. Season with sea salt and pepper and fluff with a fork.
- In a separate bowl, toss chickpeas with cumin and perhaps a pinch of sea salt.
- To serve, spoon bulgur into 4 bowls. Scatter spiced chickpeas over the bulgur.
- Sprinkle on the chopped cilantro. Drizzle on some tahini, if you like.
Thank you for reading my vegan stories and plant-based recipes. I sincerely love to connect with listeners and would like to hear your feedback, takeaways, “ah-ha!” moments, etc in the comments.