Spinach makes Popeye strong. But canned? Nuh-uh. Fresh greens are the way to strength, but also deliciousness, versatility and greatness. Sign up for my free, virtual class this Thursday, hosted by Miami Dade Public Library where I’ll be sharing three different ways to enjoy greens — all fresh, nothing canned, and entirely great.
Beet, Celery and Arugula Salad With Brazil Nuts
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sherry or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill finely chopped, plus additional for garnish, if desired
- 1 cup millet sorghum or other whole grain, cooked and cooled
- 3 cups shredded kale chard, spinach or arugula or other fine seasonal green
- 1 ripe Hass avocado sliced
- 2 watermelon radishes or 4 French breakfast radishes thinly sliced
- 4 beets cooked and cooled, diced
- 1/4 cup Brazil nuts chopped or other nuts of choice.
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, Dijon mustard, sherry or cider vinegar and agave or maple syrup until ingredients emulsify, about a minute. Add chopped dill and give another quick whisk. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together whole grains and shredded greens until fluffy and incorporated. Pour in a few tablespoons of the dressing and toss again. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Fill a bowl or a platter with the greens and grains. Channel your inner artist and scatter sliced avocado and radish, diced beets and chopped Brazil nuts on top. Drizzle on a little extra dressing, if desired.