All right everyone, your best Katherine Hepburn impersonations, please, as we say together, “The calla lilies are in bloom again. Such a strange flower, suitable to any occasion. I carried them on my wedding day and now I place them here in memory of something that has died.”*
Calla Lillies, Almond Cookies and the Cycle of Life
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon amaretto
- 2/3 cup almond flour or finely ground almonds
- 2/3 cup unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 24 blanched almonds **
- Cream together butter, almond butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in amaretto and almond flour (or ground almonds). Sift together flour and baking powder and add to butter mixture. Stir until just combined. Dough will be slightly sticky.
- On a lightly floured board, form into a log 2 inches in diameter. Wrap well in foil and refrigerate until well-chilled, 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, heat oven to 350.
- Slice dough into rounds 1/2 inch thick and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Gently press a blanched almond into the center of each cookie. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until cookies are just turning golden.
- Remove from oven and cool. Makes 2 dozen.
NotesTo blanch almonds -- Pour whole raw almonds into a small heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and leave for 15 minutes. Drain. Almond skins will slip off off, leaving you perfect, bare nut kernels.
Connect with me for discounts, exclusive tips, and other freebies:
• Join my NEWSLETTER for exclusive content & offers
• Join my social networks on LINKEDIN, TWITTER and FACEBOOK
Want to learn more?
Explore more of my VEGAN RECIPES, and my COOK BOOKS.
Do you want a happier life, a greener plate, and a delicious world? Then sign up for VEG THERAPY.
Leave a Reply