To join us for this live event, be sure to grab your virtual seat by signing up at http://bit.ly/sexysummersalad.
Roasted Beet Salad with Chili-Lime Vinaigrette
- 2 good-sized beets save greens for another use
- 1/2 jicama also known as Mexican turnip, peeled and diced or 1 young white turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 orange cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 mango if available, chopped
- 3 cups fresh spring greens such as arugula, butter lettuce, watercress or spinach
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/3 cup almonds or pecans toasted and coarsely chopped
- FOR VINAIGRETTE
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Wash beets, wrap them tightly in aluminum foil and roast at 400 degrees for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool. The skins will slip off and the beets will be sweet and tender. Beets may be roasted a day ahead and kept wrapped and chilled in the refrigerator.
- Mix vinaigrette. In a small bowl, combine lime juice, balsamic or cider vinegar, honey or agave, olive oil, mustard, cumin and chili powder. Whisk until well combined. Makes about 1/3 cup of dressing, ample for salad plus leftovers.
- For salad, arrange greens on a platter or pile into individual bowls.
- Top with greens with diced beets, jicama or turnip, chopped mango, chopped nuts and cilantro.
- Drizzle dressing on top.