It is time to celebrate Lewis Kanner, attorney extraordinaire, Florida native, Democrat, Florida Gator, collector of duck decoys, husband to Marcia. . . and my father. He’s 75 today.
He gave me a love for the Everglades and its wonderful waterbirds. A man of endless patience, he taught me how to drive. He shared with me the wisdom of the 2000 year-old man and Mr. Hulot. He gave me excellent if unprintable advice on my wedding day, and the following year, spent a fortune in rice crackers so the two of us could feed every deer in Nara, Japan. Japan is no place he’d even have visited except that’s where I was then living, so he travelled half-way around the world just to make sure I was okay.
He has endured my culinary adventures since I was a kid and only once sustained injury. He loves chocolate but shouldn’t eat it. He does not love vegetables and does not eat them (but should). So to celebrate Lew, behold chocolate zucchini cupcakes.
Happy birthday and much love,
Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick, room temperature
- 1 scant cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup grated zucchini about 1 large zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 12-count muffin tin with paper cupcake cups (or lightly grease).
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour and cocoa powder.
- In a small bowl, stir baking soda into yogurt (mixture will fizz and expand).
- Alternate mixing flour mixture and yogurt into batter, Finally, mix in zucchini. Spoon into muffin cups. Bake 30 minutes, or until cupcakes puff and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool and enjoy.