Are you getting geared up for Super Bowl Sunday? I don’t even know who’s playing (so can you help a girl out?). I never got the sports gene, much to my father’s disappointment. But this walnut chorizo recipe from California Walnuts is something I can cheer about. It’s vegan, versatile, with just the right amount of spice and it stars two of my favorite foods, chickpeas and walnuts, both fantastic sources for fiber and protein. Walnuts are the best nut going as far as I’m concerned, offering omega-3 for nourishment and haunting flavor and fantastic crunch and mouthfeel for pleasure. Thanks to the California Walnuts folks, I learned the nuts originated in Persia in 7000 BC. Maybe that explains my affinity for authentic Persian cuisine. But whether they’re in Persian walnut and pomegranate sauce or in a taco, walnuts are winners.
- 3 cups California walnuts
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas cooked
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt kosher
- 2 teaspoons Ancho pepper ground
- 2 teaspoons oregano dried
- 1 teaspoon chipotle ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander ground
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until walnuts are the size of a grain of rice.
- Transfer walnut chorizo to a skillet and cook on medium-low heat until warmed through.
- Serve warm or reserve until ready to use.