This fruit puree has the thick consistency of apple butter. Spread it on toast, dot it on oatmeal or whole grain pancakes, and by all means, dip apples in it at Rosh Hashana for a new spin on an old tradition. Orange flower water is available at Middle Eastern markets.
- 1-1/3 cup water or black tea
- 1 cup pitted dates Deglet Noor or Medjools
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange flower water optional but heavenly
- In a small saucepan, bring water to boil. Add dates and stir. Cover the pot and turn off the heat. Leave the pot on the burner for 30 minutes to let the ingredients steep.
- Pour the dates and water into a food processor and process for 2 minutes, or until smooth and saucy.
- Add lemon juice and orange flower water. Process again for another minute.
- Keeps covered and refrigerated for several months.