Share a little love with those around you when you offer a bowl of curried sweet potato soup.
“The world is all messed up,” observed Martin Luther King Jr. the night before he was assassinated. Half a century later, it’s still messed up. It’s impossible to undo the pain caused by a single act of violence, let alone the waves of terrorism across the globe. But as we honor King on his birthday, we can seize this moment as an opportunity to rise, to come together.
Our messed-up world is as riven by poverty, racism and militarism — the three evils as King called them — as it was in the 1960s, maybe more so. King believed in combatting them not with evil, not with force, but with nonviolence. Another word for this, in another language, is ahimsa. Buddhists, Hindu, yogis and vegans translate this term as nonviolence and as unconditional universal love. It’s easy to talk about — I mean, who’s really against love? It’s the doing that’s hard to pull off. To the hardcore ahimsa practitioner, the life of an animal that becomes your dinner matters just as much as the life of a child, evil thoughts can harm as much as physical weapons. That sets the bar so high for most of us, we can’t even think where to begin.
Start with something simple — sweet potatoes. That’s where Rose McGee began with her sweet potato comfort pie initiative. I hope my curried sweet potato soup recipe does the same thing. It’s easy, comforting, and a wonderful pot to share with others. Let it be a sweet way to bring people together.
For more simple soups, join my free, virtual class Simple Soups 6pm this Thursday, hosted by the Pinecrest branch of Miami Dade Public Library. Register here.
Curried Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegan butter
- 1 onion peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 ½ teaspoons mild curry powder
- ½ pound carrots peeled and coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 pound sweet potatoes peed and coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 apple peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 4 cups 1 quart vegetable broth, preferably low sodium
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- sea salt
- optional: plain unsweetened vegan yogurt for garnish
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add chopped onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until onion softens and turns fragrant, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle in the curry powder and stir so the chopped onion is coated with spiced oil.
- Add the chopped carrots, sweet potato and apple. Stir everything together, and pour in the vegetable broth Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and let the soup simmer for 30 minutes, or until the carrots, sweet potato and apple are fall-apart tender. Stir in the apple cider vinegar.
- Using an immersion blender, purée the soup until luscious, thick and smooth. Alternately, using a blender or food processor, carefully purée the soup in two batches.
- To serve, bring soup to a simmer over medium heat, until heated through, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Finish with a dollop of plain unsweetened vegan yogurt (or dairy yogurt), if desired.