Traditional meets Tropical Salad, featuring Fullei Fresh Sprouts
The classic winter trio of technicolor beets, sweet, licorishy fennel and toasty walnuts meets sunny and tropical with fresh citrus and bean and green sprouts from Miami hydroponic grower, Fullei Fresh. www.fulleifresh.com
- 1 whole large beet or two small, greens trimmed and reserved for another use.
- 1 large fennel bulb fronds trimmed and reserved for another use
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for drizzling
- 1 tangerine sectioned (you may substitute an orange or a handful of kumquats)
- 2-3 cups fresh tender greens such as spinach or arugula
- 2-3 cups assorted Fullei Fresh sprouts such as beet sprouts, clover sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, spicy sprouts, crunchy mix and sunflower shoots
- 2 tablespoons tahini sesame seed paste, available in most grocery and specialty stores, stirred well
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar or other mild vinegar
- 3 tablespoons walnuts toasted
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds optional
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to finish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop beet roots off from the greens. Save the beet greens for later — they’re related to chard, are tender and mild-flavored, terrific to add to soups whole grain and beans dishes. It’s free nourishment and less food waste.
- Rinse whole beet and wrap tightly in foil. Place on baking sheet and roast for 1 hour.
- Chop fennel bulb into bite-sized pieces. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, so fennel is tender and golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Remove beets from oven and allow to cool. Skin should slip right off. Both beet and fennel may be roasted a day ahead,, and stored in airtight containers and chilled in the refrigerator.
- For the dressing, mix together tahini and orange juice, stirring well to create a smooth, creamy dressing. Add vinegar and give a final stir.
- To assemble, channel your inner artist. Spread spinach or other tender greens on a platter or large, shallow bowl. Scatter on fennel.
- Sprinkle on assorted Fullei Fresh bean and green sprouts, then top with tangerine, beets, walnuts and pomegranate seeds, if adding.
- Finish with a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper. Dot dressing on top.
Serves 4 to 6, recipe doubles easily.
Thank you for reading my vegan stories and plant-based recipes. I sincerely love to connect with listeners and would like to hear your feedback, takeaways, “ah-ha!” moments, etc in the comments.