Cinco de Mayo has come and gone, so why am I posting this recipe?
Because today is the tax deadline, and my exhausted CPA husband wants 1) chocolate and 2) energy.
These Mexican Love Bite treats are raw, doable in minutes, provide good fuel by way of dates and nuts and offer chocolate delivery, plus a little extra zing with coffee and cayenne.
If you’ve filed your taxes, good on you, and thanks on behalf of CPAs everywhere. Have a Mexican chocolate love bite. Have two!
Mexican Chocolate Love Bites
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup Medjool dates pitted
- 3 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch cayenne
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons fresh brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar + 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon for rolling the love bites
- Pour the raw almonds into a blender or food processor. Process for a minute, or until nuts are coarsely chopped.
- Add pitted dates, cinnamon, cocoa, cayenne, cacao nibs, vanilla and brewed coffee. Process again until everything just comes together as a coarse paste.
- In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pinch off about a walnut-sized piece of the Mexican chocolate mixture (or use a teaspoon) and roll into a ball. Drop the ball into the powdered sugar and cinnamon mixture to coat. Continue with the remaining chocolate.