If you’ve got 10 minutes and a desire for no-cook food that’s easy to make without heating up the kitchen and uses ingredients that have a low impact on the environment – this Hold the Egg Creamy Tofu Salad made with firm tofu is just what you need in your life.
You think it’s hot? Scientists agree with you. The new IPCC report is out, and the news is not good. “Climate change is widespread, rapid, and intensifying.” Could your dinner have anything to do with it? You bet — from planting to processing, everything you eat produces carbon and gobbles up natural resources. Rather than freak out about climate change, take positive action. Moving to a more plant-based diet is a proven way to do reduce your environmental impact. It’s easy and delicious, too.
Seasonal and local produce offers the brightest flavors, greatest nutrient density and the lowest carbon output. Alas, mankind has gotten out of whack with the natural world, and we don’t always know what fruits and vegetables are in season. I’ve got you covered with this seasonal food guide.
As this BBC report says, “A portion of the highest-impact vegetable proteins emits less than the lowest-impact animal proteins.” Stock up on belly-filling plant-based protein sources including beans, nuts, tempeh, and tofu. They are easy on the planet, easy on your wallet and versatile as anything.
Commercial vegan egg substitutes abound, but they can’t beat out tofu, one of the lowest of the low carbon foods. It muscles out eggs in this no-cook hold the egg Creamy Tofu Salad recipe. It conjures the memory of the egg salad my maternal grandmother made for me when I was little — pale, golden, creamy, and comforting. But it goes further — it’s no-cook and eggless. It’s quick, easy, and satisfyingly cool — for you and for the planet.
Hold the Egg Salad aka Creamy Tofu SaladCreamy, comforting and so basic, it’s barely a recipe. Firm tofu stands in for hard-boiled eggs, offering all of the protein and none of the cholesterol or cruelty. Mustard, turmeric and nutritional yeast add a depth of flavor and echo the sunny color in egg yolks. Feel free to customize with your favorite egg salad add-ins such as sweet pickle relish, chopped olives, a dash of paprika or curry powder or a tablespoon or two of your favorite fresh herbs, finely chopped. It will taste like your childhood favorite and won’t come from a kit.
- 8 ounces 1/2 block firm organic tofu, pressed to release excess water and blotted dry
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 tablespoon scallion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon nutritional yeast*
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, mash tofu with a fork as you would with hard boiled eggs, until the tofu is crumbly but still has some texture.
- Add the diced celery and chopped scallion. Stir in vegan mayonnaise, nutritional yeast, turmeric, mustard, lemon juice or apple cider.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Notes* A fabulous dairy-free cheesy-tasting golden powder. Vegan bonus — several brands are B-12 fortified.
More Tofu Recipes to Try:
- Chili-Spiked Tofu With Broccoli and Brown Rice
- Ma Po Tofu
- Miso Lacquered Tofu Bowl with Vegetables and Brown Rice
- Tofu Scramble and Fig Walnut Bread
- Warm Tofu and Mushroom Salad With Roasted Lemon Relish